Thanksgiving is a time for family, food, and fun. But what if you're a vegetarian? Don't worry, this holiday can still be a festive celebration.
Thanksgiving dinner always includes plenty of side dishes, and it turns out many of them are meatless! Here are 3 from our community that'll help keep your meal delicious and nutritious.
Roasted aubergine with saffron yogurt (serves 4)
3 medium aubergines, cut into 2cm thick round slices or long wedges
olive oil, for brushing
2 tbsps toasted pine nuts
a handful of pomegranate seeds
a handful of fresh basil leaves grown in your smart garden
sea salt flakes & black pepper
1 pinch of saffron strands
3 tbsps hot water
180g greek yogurt
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 1/2 tsps lemon juice
3 tbsps olive oil
- Preheat oven to 240˚C.
- Place aubergine slices on a roasting tray, brush with plenty of olive oil on both slices and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Roast for 20-35 minutes, until they are a beautiful light brown color. Remove from oven and leave to cool. Set aside. (They will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, bring up to room temperature before serving)
- For saffron yogurt, infuse saffron in hot water in a small bowl for 5 minutes.
- Put yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and some salt into a bowl, pour in saffron infusion.
- Whisk well to get a smooth golden sauce. Taste & adjust salt, if necessary. Chill.
- (Will keep in fridge for up to 3 days)
Arrange aubergine slices on a serving plate, slightly overlapping. Drizzle with saffron yogurt, sprinkle with pine nuts & pomegranate seeds followed by fresh basil leaves.
Salad of roasted butternut squash with sweetcorn, herbs, feta & pumpkin seeds (serves 6 as a side)
1 large butternut squash
2 whole corn on the cobs
1 red chili, deseeded & finely diced
Large handful of fresh coriander (10-15g)
Small handful of fresh mint leaves (5g)
1 tsp of finely grated lime zest (1 lime)
4 tbsps lime juice (2-3 limes)
75ml olive oil
30g pumpkin seeds, toasted
100g feta, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 220˚C fan
- Cut the butternut squash in half (leave skin on), scoop out seeds and cut into large chunks. Place in a bowl and mix with 2 tbsps oil, ½ tsp salt & plenty of coarsely ground black pepper.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and spread squash over tray skin side down, spreading out well. Roast for 25-30 mins until cooked through and golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Place a chargrill pan over a high heat, add corn cobs and grill turning regularly to char all over. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle shave kernels from cob. To do this, hold the corn upright on a board and using a sharp knife slice down sides of cobs to remove kernels.
- Place corn kernels in a bowl, add chilli, lime zest & juice and remaining olive oil, a good sprinkling of salt and all the chopped herbs. Mix well and set aside.
Arrange squash on a large serving platter, spoon corn salsa on top, sprinkle over toasted pumpkin seeds, followed by crumbled feta and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
Chili, fresh coriander and fresh mint are all grown in a Click & Grow smart garden.
Simple green salad with a gourmet twist
Throw ingredients together in a bowl. Add salt, pepper and dressing to taste.
All leafy greens were grown in the Click and Grow 25.
From all of us at Click and Grow, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Explore more recipes: